After trying to take photos of my cactus for ‘pointed’ as part of assignment 1, I gave up and decided to do some more experimenting with exposure. I’ve been thinking about doing something like this for a while now, and now I feel as though I understand how my camera better to achieve it. It was raining and there was a lot of traffic outside, so I switched off the living room light and set up my camera next to the window. Using manual focus with a 60mm macro lens, I set the camera on a tripod with a 10 second exposure and an aperture of f/5.6. This longer exposure and smaller aperture enabled me to create a bokeh effect. I’m wondering if this could be a possible image for ‘liquid’ as part of my assignment 1 on contrasts. The blurred background appears to emphasize the wateryness of the rain drops. Maybe I’ll have another go at the cactus tomorrow!
DPP Blog Posts
- Project 1: Workflow
- Project 2: Digital image qualities
- Project 3: Processing the image
- Project 4: Reality and intervention
- Project 5: The final image